Second blog for St Patricks day! I’ve decided to make some green Gluten free cupcakes with a little St Patricks day decoration to them
– 200g Caster Sugar
– 200g butter
– 3 eggs
– 200g Gluten free self Raising flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– Green food colouring
– 2 cups softened butter
– 3 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 190 C and set out the cupcake cases onto a tray.
2. Mix the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs into the mix one at a time and then add the vanilla, mixing until it is smooth.
4. Sift in the baking powder and the flour mixing until well combined, then mix in the green food colouring.
5. Put the mixture into the cupcake cases filling them about half way. Bake them for about 20 minutes.
6. Add the butter into a bowl and mix to soften it. Add in the icing sugar a little at a time until all the icing sugar is mixed into the butter.
7. Put the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe a little onto the cooled cupcakes. I find it much easier to put the piping bag over a tall glass when filling it with buttercream, also if you secure the end with an elastic band it stops the buttercream coming out of the bag when you’re decorating.
8. I’ve wanted to try make buttercream flowers for a while but I thought I would start off smaller and try make a buttercream shamrock to decorate. So just take some of that left over buttercream frosting and add a little green food colouring. Then I just tried my best to pipe on a little shamrock onto the butter frosting.
It’s a lot harder than it looks but I did my best and it turns out that my mum is a lot better at it than I am she made a perfect one on her first attempt.
I had a lot of fun making these and I’m definitely not going to give up on trying out the buttercream flowers!