My auntie asked me to make her a birthday cake for her friend, and she asked me to make a penguin cake with a little worm in its mouth. so i thought why not show you guys too because i love making cakes for people and i thought this would be a fun cake to make!
For this you will need:
(The sponge ingredients are for one cake)
- Preheat your oven to 190°C and line 2 round tins with greaseproof paper.
- You will need two vanilla sponges so you can either make two mixes separately or one double mix and split it. The first step is to mix the butter and the sugar together until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the mix one at a time and mix until smooth then stir in the vanilla.
- Sift in the flour and mix it well, once you’ve done that you can put it into the cake tins. Bake for 25-35 minutes
- Add the butter to a bowl and mix it a little just to soften it
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time and mix until all the icing sugar is combined with the butter.
- Once the cakes have cooled level off the top and cut them both in half so you can fill the centre.
- Spread the jam onto the first layer then top that with buttercream and add on the other half of the sponge and repeat that until you have the four layers.
- Cover the whole cake in a thin coating of buttercream and put that into the fridge for 5 to 10 minutes just so it is slightly harder. Then add on another thicker layer trying to get it as smooth as you can.
- Roll out the black roll out icing until there is enough to cover the cake. Put it carefully over the cake and gently use your hand to smooth out the icing. (You can use kitchen roll to gently dust off any icing sugar)
- Roll out the white and cut out the rounded shape for the stomach and cut two circles for eyes, Stick this onto the cake using a little bit of water.
- Using leftover black add 2 smaller circles into the white ones to make the pupils and add a small bit of white to that showing a shine also securing them with water.
- Using the food colouring and the white icing colour half of the icing yellow and the other half pink.
- From the yellow cut out shapes for feet and then a triangle for the beak.
- And from the pink roll out a little to look like a worm and then add lines onto it to make it look more like a worm. I then added a little bit of black to the worm as an eye.
- The final step is to add a little bit of the black fondant either side of the penguin and this will act as the wings.
I had so much fun making this and i’m so proud of how it turned out, this has definitely been one of my best looking cakes!
I really hope you all enjoyed this and ill see you next week,