So another first try at baking! This time its something my mum and i have been wanting to try for a long time. She isn’t a fan of the shop bought gluten free bread and that’s why we wanted to give this ago, her view was that it couldn’t get much worse than the stuff she could buy at the shop.
So lets have a go.
- 125ml warm water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 80ml olive oil
- 250ml warm water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 80ml apple juice
- 500g white gluten free bread flour or mix
- 4 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Put the 125ml water and sugar into a large jug (give the yeast space to work). Sprinkle the yeast into the water and stir it until the yeast dissolves. Leave it for 5-10 minutes until there is a good foam over the top of it. (This will activate the yeast)
- Mix together the vinegar, eggs, the egg whites, oil, 250ml water, honey, and apple juice.
- Mix the flour, xanthan gum and salt into a large bowl. Add the egg mixture and the yeast mixture and mix it until everything is combined. (At this stage the mix will look more like a batter than a dough)
- Lightly oil a loaf tin and then pour the mix into it. Leave the tin in a warm place for about an hour until the dough roughly doubles in size.
- Pre-heat your oven just before the hour is up at 170°C. Place the loaf tin into the preheated oven for 65 minutes. When its ready it should sound hollow when tapped. If it doesn’t then take it out of the tin and place it back in with the bottom facing upwards for 5-10 minutes.
Making the bread was completely out of my comfort zone with baking baking, it was something i’ve never made before so i was really happy when it turned out as good as it did. My mum loves it so much more than the shop bought bread so if my mums happy with it then that’s all that matters to me.
Hope you all enjoyed this, see you next week.